Thursday, June 23, 2011

New Mexico...Ranch Style!

This post is going to have A LOT of pictures. This trip was an absolute dream! I can't believe we got to do all that we did, and with such amazing friends. After Utah, we came home for one day and then left for New Mexico. We stayed with our dear friends in their beautiful house the first night. The next day we left for their family's ranch. On the way, we went through a ton of Indian Reservation. We stopped and had authentic fry bread on the side of the road. Yum. In a couple of hours, we went from desert to the most beautiful mountains and thick, green forest. We pulled into the ranch and thought we were in a movie! No joke! We just don't come across these things everyday. We spent our time at the ranch, riding four-wheelers, riding horses, just chilling out, swinging on the rope swing, exploring, fishing, laughing and eating super yummy food.

The kids were playing horseshoes. They stood super close. It was so funny.

Annie and Tay. Tay was the oldest kid there. She was torn between being a kid, but wanting to be with the adults. Annie was so great at making her feel like she belonged and was so sweet to her. It meant a lot to see that. It helped Taylor to feel like comfortable and wanted.

And...here is Josh. Probably the funniest person I have ever met. Guaranteed laughfest everytime we are all together.


Here is their youngest and our youngest. Cute kids!


My hot cowboy!



His quirky wife! Ha ha!



Yes, this is a horse by our cars. The horses just graze the land and then are rounded up by the man who takes care of the ranch. They have free reign of the property. They have to be pretty happy about that. The horses are what we were most excited about. The first day we got to ride past this meadow and up this breathtaking mountain trail. Taylor got to ride her own horse alone. Pretty much her dream come true. She has a passion for horses. I had a really mellow horse, but Annie and Jason's horses were pretty moody. It was a fun time! Jason's knee started to hurt, so we cut it short, but enjoyed every second of it. That evening, the horses were just hanging around and we loved giving them attention. It was so fun to see Rylee and Morgan with Annie's kids, petting the horses and feeding them and not being scared at all.






The second day we were there, we wanted to ride again, but weren't sure if we could. We probably shouldn't have and I know that Annie just rode because she knew how much we wanted to. It started off great. The kids each got to take a turn on the horses, while we walked them around. Then, Taylor and Annie and I all hopped on the same horses as the day before, only Annie had her son Jack on with her and Rylee was on the back of me. We rode up the same trail as the day before, but decided to go further. It just got more beautiful as we went and I couldn't believe it was real. So amazing. But then Annie's horse got spooked, (and it was already moody), and so Annie had to get off and lead it back down the trail a ways. Jack was still on, but crying pretty hard. It scared him and he wanted to go back. Annie got to a spot she could get back on and my horse was in the lead and Taylor was in the back of the line. We were heading down the steepest part of the single trek trail, when I heard a scream and looked back to see Annie and Jack flying off their horse and their horse running as fast as she could down the mountain and out of sight. My horse got spooked and started running, but luckily, Rylee held on. I got my horse to stop, even though it wasn't happy about it, but I couldn't get off to go help Annie because I was afraid the horse would take off with Rylee on alone. I looked up and Annie was holding Jack and his face was covered with blood and dirt. Annie had to get up and lead Taylor's horse back down to the trail because it had run up the side of the mountain when the other horse ran off. I could tell Annie was hurt and I for sure knew Jack was. Tay and I rode down to get help, but they were already heading up to find us because Annie's horse ran back to the ranch without it's saddle and with a broken rein. I am not sure if Annie broke or bruised her rib, but she was so tough about it. She was sore, but was just worried if we were comfortable and wanted to make sure that dinner got started. She is amazing. Luckily, Jack is ok, but he had a hard tumble. The picture below shows his face after they got him cleaned up. Scary, but it could have been worse. I am sure it will be a while before they get back on their horses. And, I'm sure Annie is still sore, after a couple of weeks because she landed right on a rock. Ouch!


The last night we made s'mores and just chilled. It was perfect. Thanks Josh and Annie for being so generous and being such great friends. We are very lucky...and we are so glad you are ok.










3 comments:

  1. Sounds like an awesome trip (minus the scary horse ride). Pen has a thing for horses, too, so she would have loved it. Glad you got to go.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow ~ it looks like you guys had an amazing trip (minus the crazy horse incident). What a beautiful ranch!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my gosh linds. I don't think I have ever known someone so nice and so complimentary and so loving and so grateful. You are such an amazing example. I just want to copy and paste this post to my blog. I couldn't have described the weekend better. I hope we get to do it again sometime. I love that Taylor and was so happy to have her by our side. Maybe next time we will bring a friend for her. I'm not a huge fan of the close-ups of me but I'll live. Love and miss.

    ReplyDelete