Saturday, June 25, 2011

FMSC

For a while I have wanted to find some kind of service project that my girls could do with me. I just wanted them to be grateful for the little things in life and to be aware of the situations that happen in our world. I finally found it. Today we went and packed Manna Packs for FMSC.org...aka Feed My Starving Children. It is a Christian organization that focuses on "starving" children around the world, not just "hungry" children. I had no idea what it would be like, but I did have some hopes. I have to say that the experience exceeded all of my hopes....and it was really fun!! I just took the older two girls and met our dear friends, Melissa, Ellie and Reagan at the facility.

After signing in and receiving our hairnets, we watched a short movie, (which Melissa and I cried at the whole time). Then we went and learned how to pack these manna packets. They are filled with a chicken/vitamin powder, dehydrated veggies, soy and rice. We each had our jobs to do. I was the bag opener and holder. Melissa, Ellie and Taylor all scooped the food. Reagan and Rylee weighed the bags and passed them on to be sealed. They had music going and for 2 hours, we just worked while we danced and laughed and cheered everytime we filled a box.

Little sidenote: Kurt Warner was there the day before and he stood at our table and sealed the bags. I love the Cardinals and Kurt Warner, so I think that is pretty cool!

Anyway, at the end, we cleaned up and found out that the whole group packed enough food in 2 hours that would feed 31 kids for a whole year. The coolest thing was that they pray over the boxes of food once they are done. Anyone who wanted to went over and they prayed that the boxes would get where they needed to go safely and would make it through customs and into the right hands. I felt very emotional during this prayer, because I just knew, that no matter what religion was in charge, God is over it all and these things can only happen with his help. It was pretty powerful. I am so glad that someone started this whole program and that I got to go and take my precious girls. They LOVED it and are already asking to go back. Taylor has already thanked me about 15 times and said it was the best experience of her life.

3 comments:

  1. You are so amazing! I think it is so awesome that you took your girls to do this. Its very inspiring to me. Is it weird that I had tears in my eyes the whole time I was reading this post?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my gosh that is the best idea ever! I love it. How fun. I have been wondering about doing a service project with my kids too. That is a great idea. I wish I could have been there.

    ReplyDelete